Saturday, January 18, 2014

Dead Rite chapter 165.11


Just as he knew she would, Lucy ate three spoonfuls of mash before pushing the pate away. “That's not enough, love. You need to eat more than three spoons of potato if you want to grow up big and strong.”

She pouted. “It tastes funny.”

“Funny how?” Jasfoup put down his bowl of rice. “Funny like a clown?”

Harold snickered. “That was a good film.”

“What was?” Lucy narrowed her eyes. “What are you laughing about? Are you making fun of me?”

“No, darling. Jax made a film reference. You'll understand it when you're older and can make more reference to cultural idioms.”

“Jax?” Jasfoup turned to him. “You haven't called me Jax since you were a kid.”

“Haven't I?” Harold beetled his brows. I don't think I ever made the connection before. You looked different then.”

“Cultural norms.” Jasfoup picked up his bowl again. “The sixties and seventies were not conducive to being black.”

No comments: