Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Dead Rite chapter 167.09

“Of course you do. Sorry, love.” How many times could he apologise? He was in danger of apologising for the world. He switched the appliance back on and meant to go upstairs, but hesitated. “I really am, you know. Sorry, I mean. I didn't mean to hurt you.”

“I know, love. But I've been worried sick about you. When you collapsed the other night...” She shook her head as if to dislodge the thought. “Call me a silly old fool if you must, but I honestly thought that was the end. I didn't know what I'd do without you. Go mad, maybe, or pine away and die. All I know is I couldn't go on without you.”

“You won't have to. I'm not going anywhere. You know my pension will be a quarter of what I'm getting now, don't you?”

“What about it?”

“I'll need to live four times as long to make up for it.”

No comments: