Monday, February 24, 2014

Dead Rite chapter 169.02

Nor am I.” Dill wound the cable around his hand, expertly looping one end under the other rest of the coil until it retained its shape when released. He tossed it on the table. “I have an IQ of one sixty-five, you know.”

I don't doubt it.” Jasfoup crossed the room and moved the coiled wire until it lined up with the edge of the keyboard. Demons might be diametrically opposed to order but it didn't mean they weren't obsessively compulsive about some things. He hated mess. It was a constant battle for him to never open the kitchen drawer in case he felt the need to organise all the tin tacks, paper clips, elastic bands and old keys that had found their way there over the years. “But intelligence is rarely a measure of practical ability. I knew the cleverest man in the history of the world and he couldn't tie his own shoelaces.”

Who was that? Einstein? Hawking? Wait!” Dill held up a hand. “Don't tell me. I think I remember you mentioning it, or perhaps Harold did, or Julie. Something Italian.” He tapped the side of his head as if to jar the memory free. “Leonardo Da Vince, wasn't it? Did they even have shoelaces then?”

No, but not Da Vinci, anyway. I was thinking of Samual Butcher.”

I've never heard of him.”

Nobody ever did. He was the most intelligent man in the world and also a homeless bum.”

What was clever about that?”

The demon smiled. “He spent his whole life not working.”

No comments: